SOURCES OF POWER
For each of the sources of power give the name of a person you know that has this source of power. Explain why you believe they have this source of power and give examples to support your claim. Be detailed.
Sources of Power
1. Legitimate power is where the leader has the right, or authority to tell others what to do; employees are obligated to comply with legitimate orders.
2. Reward power is where the leader influences others because she or he controls valued rewards; people comply with the leader’s wishes in order to receive those rewards.
3. Coercive power is where the leader has control over punishments; people comply to avoid those punishments.
4. Referent power is where the leader has personal characteristics that appeal to others; people comply because of admiration, a desire for approval, personal liking, or a desire to be like the leader.
5. Expert power is where the leader has certain expertise or knowledge; people comply because they believe in, can learn from, or can otherwise gain from that expertise.